On December 16, 2023 Archbishop Dennis Schnurr consecrated the new altar of sacrifice that was installed along with the new ambo and altar of repose. This was the culmination of almost 5 years of planning. This project restored many of the parish's beautiful treasures that had been taken out of the sanctuary more than 50 years ago.
This was a typical interior of a small country parish church. The ornate altars were usually hand carved and images of the angels were placed on walls and in statues to represent the reality that the Mass is where heaven touches earth. Note the adoring angels on either side of the altar.
As we approached the 1960s there was a movement in the church to "simplify" church interiors. The main and side altars were replaced with less ornate ones and the "people's crucifix" was replaced with a smaller crucifix and placed above the main altar in a "Calvary scene".
After 1964 there was a call for even more simplicity and as a result, the side altars were removed and elaborate painted designed were repainted. This is also when the church was expanded to add more seating. As a result the sanctuary back wall was expanded to add "wings" to the left and right of the sanctuary. A larger crucifix was installed so as to be the new focal point of the Mass.
In December of 2023 a new main altar and altar of repose were added to recapture the aesthetic of the 1958 altar. The tabernacle of 1958 was placed in the new altar of repose and statues were purchased to match the larger crucifix and restore the "Calvary scene". The adoring angels of the 1920s were also added back to the sanctuary.
Copyright © 2024 NWV Family of Parishes - All Rights Reserved.